Occupy Winnipeg needs a mayor

Tuesday, October 25, 2011


I took not one, but two trips down to Occupy Winnipeg last week. If you haven't been, you're not missing much. Just think Folk Fest, but without the music. And I think that's part of the problem. What's the point of a revolution without sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

I just think they're doing it all wrong. The cold isn't the only thing keeping people away from this urban campground. There's no direction, no real purpose, and most importantly, no fun.

If I was in charge of Occupy Winnipeg, here's how I would run the show:

Be loud.

You could hear a pin drop there. If you want to be heard, you gotta speak up. I'd build a stage, and invite speakers from all over to ignite the masses with words of encouragement and positivity. Because right now it looks like a glorified campground. There's no way to know who's in charge, where to go to hangout and spread the word. It's just plain unorganized. 

Be seen.

Most of the protesters I saw were sitting down, enjoying nice warm cups of coffee while engaging in light hearted conversation. Get off your asses! I'd organise marches each and every day. Right now, it looks like the only kind of people at the protest are the ones content with being unemployed. That's gotta change. 

Be open.

And they're doing a good job of that, for the most part. The first time I went down there, I had with me a video camera and tripod. The second I took the lens cap off, a protest organizer came running at me, demanding to know what I was doing. Not forgetting the lessons of Big Bad Bob Sokalski, I told the guy I was on public property, and that I could do whatever the hell I pleased. Kidding. I'm not that mean. I told him that I was a student, and I was checking out the scene for an assignment. He was still a little hesitant, and wouldn't even give me his real name. That needs to change. If this thing is going to be successful, then it needs to be accessible to everyone -- no matter who they are, and what they represent.

What the outcome of Occupy Winnipeg will be is really any one's guess. I doubt it will have much impact on the entire economic structure our society it built on. But, if you're going to do something, you should do it right. Like coach Herman Edwards once said, "you play to win the game."  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

GK All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger